Since 1979 Crathie Kirk has been linked with the Church in neighbouring Braemar. The combined Parish covers over 180.000 acres set in some of the most spectacular scenery to be found in the North East of Scotland. Crathie Kirk is part of the Church of Scotland, the Church established in Scotland by Act of Parliament with the responsibility for the spiritual welfare of the people of Scotland. It dates from the Reformation in 1560 and gradually evolved a system of Presbyterian Government which was written into the Act of Union in 1707. Under this system there is a hierarchy of Church Courts rather than a hierarchy of Bishops.
In a Parish there is a Kirk Session consisting of the Minister and the ruling Elders who are appointed from the members of the congregation. This body is responsable for the spiritual oversight of the parish. A group of parishes, each represented by the Minister and an Elder forms a Presbytery and the supreme court is the General Assembly which meets once a year in Edinburgh. Legends tell of two Celtic missionaries who came to Deeside. The earliest was St. Colm who probably came from the Church founded by St. Ninian in Withorn in the 6th Century. He was followed in the 8thCentury by St. Monire who is said to have baptised converts to Christianity in a pool of the River Dee near Balmoral Castle, still called Polmanire.
First built on the site in 1798, three parishes came together to form the new parish of Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn. The spire was adorned with lights for Christmas 2010.
The church is finely detailed and retains much of its original decoration. The current church was built to replace a corrugated iron structure which had been the first Scottish Episcopal Mission to Ballater. Previous to this, the worshippers had met at the Chapel in Glenmuick House and the altar in the North aisle is said to have come from the Glenmuick Chapel.
1st Sunday Holy Communion (1970)
2nd Sunday Holy Communion (1982)
3rd Sunday Holy Communion (1982)
4th Sunday Morning Prayer
5th Sunday Holy Communion (1970)
Services begin at 9.30am
The St Kentigern's Sunday Club meets on the third Sunday of each month in the Church Hall. The children are brought back into church to join their families during the Offertory Hymn. Children are welcome to attend any Sunday service and families are invited to use the materials in the hall if so required. All visitors are most welcome to join the regular members of the congregation for refreshments after the service.
Braemar Road & Provost Craig Road
A Scots Gothic church with attached single storey and attic presbytery. Gabled entrance porch. A central upper level niche contains a carved stone statue of St Nathalan. Built with grey and pink squared and specked rock-faced granite with grey granite dressings. Set back from the road within own spacious grounds. Current service times are listed on the 'Notice Board'. Mass will be celebrated at 7.30 pm on Sunday 24th December 2017.